Skip to main content

Charity of Imam Husain (A.S.), an example for others

By: Ayatullah Shaheed Syed Abdul Husayn Dastaghaib Shirazi
 
An Arab had to make a big payment by way of blood money, which amounted to a thousand gold coins at least. He asked people, who was the most generous gentleman in Medina? They said, “Husain.” He went to Husain and said, “O My Master! I am in such and such trouble. They have directed me to you.” Husain also, first asked him some questions, which will take a long time if I relate to you. It was understood that he was not a nomad. He was an intelligent person, faithful and knowledgeable. He (Husain) said, “Come with me.”
Then Husain took him to his house. Husain had four thousand gold coins, which he hid in his coat. He did not open the door but gave them to that man from a little opening in such a manner that the latter may not see him and feel ashamed. Husain said, “Please accept these four thousand Dinars and excuse me, this is all that I have.” He seeks excuse (You give a few Toomans in God’s path keeping your head high!
. The Arab was surprised with all this. So he asked, “O my Master! You gave me so much money but have not opened your door, why?” Husain said, “So that you may not feel ashamed, by looking at me. I have protected your self-respect. I hid myself from you.” This is because he does not consider the wealth as his own and does not consider himself as a doer of a good deed.
He considers this wealth as the wealth of God. He considers himself a servant of God. He also considers this good sense also from God and knows that God has done a favor to him. One who gives something to someone and then shows his favor has made his spending void or invalid.

ثُمَّ لا يُتْبِعُونَ مَا أَنفَقُوا مَنًّا وَلا أَذًى

“Then, do not follow up what they have spent with reproach or injury.[240]

مَنْ آمَنَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَعَمِلَ صَالِحًا فَلَهُمْ أَجْرُهُمْ عِنْدَ رَبِّهِمْ وَلا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ

Source: http://haidryonline.wordpress.com
 

Comments